The Generations of Thomas Pine Petznick
Thomas Pine Petznick
Notes for Alan Mead
Several of the early settlers had a crude contrivance or vat for tanning their own leather. The first tannery was built by Nathaniel Steele on East Brook on the premises occupied by Pollock Howland. This was built in 1803. Alan Mead a few years later established a tannery on Mt. Pleasant near the Franklin road. In 1810 John and Nathaniel Steele erected a tannery at what is now the corner of Delaware and North streets, upon the site now occupied by the Lyon building and the wagon shop of J. B. Eells & Son. This tannery was soon after purchased by Alan Mead, who abandoned the one on the hill. At this time the bark for tannery uses was ground by a very rude process. A few years later, about 1815, a more perfected machine was used for grinding bark. In 1842 John and Gabriel Mead built an extensive tannery on West Brook. This was burned in 1857 and rebuilt in the following year, and passed to the firm of Mead, North & Co. in 1863. In 1872 it was purchased by Tobey & Warner. Mr. Warner died in 1895 and the business is now carried on by Mr. Tobey.
Centennial History of Delaware County NY 1797-1897
| HOME | EMAIL | SURNAMES |
Website created by Thomas Pine Petznick
2011 - Thomas Pine Petznick©
All Rights Reserved.
Page built by Gedpage Version 2.20 ©2000 on 19 January 2011